10 people who look more like Michael Jackson than Joseph Fiennes
In news that everyone thought was a hoax, British thespian Joseph Fiennes has been cast to play Michael Jackson in a one-off, half-hour, 9/11-set road trip comedy for Sky Arts. In celebration(?) of the shock casting, which we’re still confident could pleasantly surprise us, we’ve had a think about ten people who look a whole lot more like our beloved MJ than Fiennes. They wouldn’t necessarily do as good a job at the acting, but we’d love to see them try. Firstly, for comparison’s sake, here’s Joseph Fiennes:
1. A famous face who somehow manages an incredible likeness to both Michael Jackson and a young Anthony Kiedis from the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Sandra Bullock would perfectly fill the shoes of the King of Pop, with or without the cool aviator shades. It would’ve been so great </3
2. Am I the only one who thought immediately of Aubrey Plaza when the cover art for Michael Jackson’s Xscape first came out?! The Parks and Recreation beauty’s deadpan ironic humour may be a bit cold for portraying the MJ we knew and love, but with those facial features she could save the makeup department a whole lot of time and money on prosthetics.
3. Sorry Kris Jenner, but it had to be said. It’s about time the momager stepped out of her daughters’ shadow and into the spotlight, and what better opportunity than this on-point casting as one of the few names more famous than ‘Kardashian’? God we hope her lawyers aren’t reading this…
4. Joseph Gordon-Levitt has already proven himself to be visually transformative in films such as Looper and The Walk, and we also know he’s totally musical and looks great with long hair. What more could this role possibly demand? I guess he could stop doing that furrowed brow thing… Don’t think MJ did that much.
5. Gael García Bernal’s lifelong bestie Diego Luna already did an amazing job of playing a Michael Jackson impersonator in Harmony Korine’s Mister Lonely, so it wouldn’t be a massive step for him to take on the real thing. Also, with his history as a child actor in Mexico’s telenovelas, Luna would be able to channel Jackson’s background as a preteen star.
6. Okay, so the show isn’t directed by Tim Burton as far as we know, but it’s time for Helena Bonham Carter to spread her wings and try something new, and we think she’d make an awesome MJ. She might need to turn down the crazy a few notches to pull off his famously serene personality, though.
7. Famous for his roles in Carol and Gotham, up-and-coming character actor Cory Michael Smith would perfectly bring back Michael in all his cheek-boned glory. Even their ears look the same! You just can’t buy that kind of detail.
8. Also from Carol, Cate Blanchett took the world by storm with her portrayal of Bob Dylan in I’m Not There, and we would love to see her take on yet another gender-bending role as a musical legend. Somehow we don’t think Cate comes cheap these days, though.
9. Pretty boy Jared Leto‘s physical transformation in Dallas Buyers Club and his alabaster look for the upcoming Suicide Squad movie seal the deal that he would make an incredible Michael Jackson. He’s also a musician, albeit in the whitest/worst band known to Earth.
10. When James Franco posted this photo of himself as Tommy Wiseau on his Instagram, we were instantly sold. Also, you don’t get more ‘James Franco project’ than a 9/11 road trip comedy with Michael Jackson, Elizabeth Taylor and Marlon Brando. Unless all the characters are smoking weed.
The as yet untitled Sky Arts project starring Joseph Fiennes as Michael Jackson, Stockard Channing as Elizabeth Taylor, and Brian Cox as Marlon Brando completed shooting last year, meaning the casting is a done deal. The one-off programme is currently in post-production, and is set to premiere some time this year, with its exact transmission date still to be confirmed.